Compost Site Information
Compost site is closed for the season.
It will be open on Saturday January 9, 2016 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. for Christmas Tree Drop Off. This is a free service to Sartell residents, we just ask for a food shelf donation to help restock the food shelves after the holiday.
If you have any left over compost items that didn't make to to the compost site during the regular season, you can also use this day to drop off the last of your items.
From Sartell City Hall, take Pinecone Road South to the 4 way stop at the Heritage Drive and Pinecone Road Intersection. Take a right onto County Road 133 for about 2 miles to County Road 4. Take a right onto County Road 4, and the next right on 30th Avenue North. You will see the Sartell Compost Site on your right. A map to the compost site is available below.
Purchasing: 2016 permits can be purchased started in March of 2016.
Read this before purchasing a permit online: Online compost permits are $31.00 for City of Sartell residents and $61.00 for St. Cloud, St. Joseph, Waite Park, Sauk Rapids and LeSauk Township residents. You must fill out all required fields during the purchasing process, (Vehicle Make, Color, License Plate Number), if any information is missing or the correct amount is not paid, your permit will not be issued. If you are purchasing this permit on a weekend, a printed receipt will prove as proof of purchase to the Compost Site Attendant.
Rules and Regulations
- You must be a Sartell resident. LeSauk Township and City of St. Cloud, Sauk Rapids, St. Joseph and Waite Park residents are also able to purchase non-resident compost permits for $60.00.($61.00 if purchased online.) (Compost sticker required)
- Commercial haulers and lawn service companies are not eligible to use this site.
- You must register with supervisor on site before entering compost site.
- You must have a compost permit sticker attached to the inside bottom of the driver side windshield. Entrance to the compost site will not be allowed without a valid permit.
- Only clean yard waste , brush and tree waste will be accepted.
Acceptable yard waste includes leaves, grass clippings, pine cones, pumpkins, acorns, apples, garden vegetation, dirt and soil.
Acceptable brush and tree waste includes shrubs, tree branches, corn stalks and firewood.
The City reserves the right to limit the quantity of brush disposed.
- Unacceptable yard waste includes construction wood, dimensional wood, pallets, stumps or whole tree logs. Yard waste mixed with rocks, metal, concrete, Styrofoam, animal feces, food scraps, or other foreign material is also unacceptable.
- You must empty all bags used to transport compost material and put empty bag(s) into dumpster or recycle the bags. No plastic bags are to be left on site if not in the dumpster, as they contaminate the compost.
- Branches and yard waste must be separated.
- All loads entering site must be covered to prevent loss of any waste while enroute to compost site.
- After unloading, all trailers, pickup boxes, etc., must be swept clean.
- The equivalent of one pickup load per week of finished compost by permit holders may be taken.
- Residents caught purchasing permits for other than their own household vehicles will forfeit their permit(s) for the year and all monies paid.
For other information or questions, please call 320-253-2171.
New vehicle permits are available at the Sartell City Hall. Permits will not be available at the compost site and entrance will not be granted without a sticker.
The compost site permits will need to be displayed in the front driver side window of your vehicle. If you need additional stickers or replacement stickers, they can also be purchased at Sartell City Hall for a charge of $5.00. (Please put information for additional stickers on form below. The city reserves the right to check license plate numbers to ensure that the vehicles are registered to you.)
2015 Sartell Compost Site stickers will be available for sale at Sartell City Hall. If you wish to purchase a sticker through the mail, please send $31.00 (or $61.00 if you are a resident of St. Cloud, Sauk Rapids, Waite Park, St. Joseph or LeSauk Township) or any additional monies if additional stickers are needed, and the Compost Site Permit form (.pdf) to:
Sartell City Hall
125 Pinecone Rd N
Sartell, Mn 56377